After a student has completed the high school, the first thing that comes to mind is – the college life. They feel happy, elated, nervous, exited all at the same time.
A college can be the most fun place where you learn as well as grow. You gain from your experiences which you gain in college. The first semester goes in knowing and adapting to the college life and its environment. Gone are those days when you were spoon fed, you have to be more independent now. You have to plan every activity of yours because in the college, the work load is more than the schools. Your endeavours do not end with grabbing a seat in a college. Your race in life has just begun. Your interest in extracurricular activities should be at par with your performance in academics and balancing both will be a new art.
Here are few tips to make your college life a bit easier!
- Be prepared for the class: You should always be prepared for the lectures. Make sure you carry all the necessary things you require during the class. Read about the subject matter; go through the text you studied in the last lectures so that you understand well. Do your homework daily.
- Be attentive: Make sure you arrive at the right time i.e. five minutes before the lecture begins so that you are settled by the time the teacher begins the class. Be alert and attentive, pen down all the important points, make notes and participate in the discussions.
- Time management: It is important to manage your time. Plan out things and keep a track of important dates and deadlines. Remember the dates of your presentations, group discussions and class tests so that you are well prepared for them.
- Study routine: One of the best ways to improve your academic performance is to prepare a routine. Devote two to three hours every day in revising what you learnt in the lectures on that day. This will not only prepare you for your next class but also reduce your pressure during the exams.
- Visit libraries often: There are various resources available for the students in the college and the most accessible one is a library. Visit college library on a regular basis and tutoring centres (if needed) that will explain your majors and clear all your doubts.
- Know your professors: The key to academic excellence is in knowing your professors and being known to them. Make sure you visit them regularly and ask them for your doubts and seek clarifications in study matter. They will give you clarity on the subject matter. They can be your best mentors, guide you for your future studies and help you in obtaining internships. Remember they are there to help you.
- Form your opinions: College is one place where you build and break notions. Listen to others but form your own opinions. Try to learn good things from everyone but don’t let others dissuade you from what you want to do in your life.
- Participate in events: Get yourself involved in all the events and extracurricular activities. This will not only give you exposure but also help you develop your interest in lot more things, build you’re networking skills. You will get to know new people and learn from them as well.
- Make use of opportunities: This is the most important step in learning. College is certainly not just going into classes and getting good grades. Strike a balance between work and play. Make use of every opportunity that falls on your way. Try to prove yourself in every field. Make your learning experience more fun and graduate with flying colors.
Team Mathematicia wishes you All The Best!!